lcgb logo

Egypt - February 2010
Visit Report - Howard Forster

Under the current modernisation plan, Egyptian National Railways are to replace much old equipment and rolling stock.

Deliveries of 40 EMD JT42CW RM (class 66) and 80 GE Evolution series ES40 AC 1 were recently completed, with the prospect of more arrivals from China.

During the week 24-8 Feb 2010, all of the locos observed on Aswan/Luxor - Alexandria/Cairo trains were from these new deliveries.

Sunday 28/2/10; Karnak Temple: Between 1926 - 54 the excavation of the temple which had been buried under sediment from Nile floods, took place under the supervision of Henri Chevrier, Director of Works, Antiquities Service. In order to remove the large quantity of material from the site, a narrow gauge railway was constructed, which was believed to have initially used a Decauville loco.

In 1934 a Buda - Lanova engined 0-4-0 DM was purchased new from USA. This loco is now preserved, together with a 4w coach, in the visitors centre building at the entrance to the site.

24.02.2010 Luxor Station - Photo Howard Forster

26.02.2010 Aswan ENR 2129 on 1200 arr from Cairo - Photo Howard Forster

26.02.2010 Aswan ENR 2417 on 1500 dep to Cairo - Photo Howard Forster

26.02.2010 Aswan ENR 2420 on 1240 arr from Cairo - Photo Howard Forster

26.02.2010 Aswan ENR 3026 on empty stock - Photo Howard Forster

26.02.2010 Aswan ENR 3944 on empty stock - Photo Howard Forster

28.02.2010 Karnak Temple ng 0-4-0 DM and coach - Photo Howard Forster