Visit Report. John Miller reporting. Monday
4/6/2012. Jelenia Gora.
This sub shed in the Wroclaw division
is alive and well and contained some 30 items including some ET22s
and ET41-153. The latter appeared to have been in store for sometime
and in a similar down at heel condition was SP42-001 which may be
set aside for preservation. TKt48-158 remains as depot plinth.
The majority allocation at this
large depot continues to be ET21 and SM42. Of the latter SM42-1280
was one of the latest rebuilt examples and was basking in the evening
sunshine showing its blue and lime green livery to good advantage.
This livery for PKP Cargo is spreading rapidly.
The main passenger depot has a
alarge EN57 emu allocation and on the loco front has mainly EP07 in
the rebuilt 10xx range including 1057 in its “BR” blur livery. A surprise
was to find Freightliner Poland 66003/4 under repair -presumably the
freight shed would not have them! Pt47-94 remains plinthed next to
the emu shed.
Tuesday 5/6/2012. Opole.
This is another large depot
where something of everything can still be seen with just over forty
items present. 3xET42 were here with ET4205 recently overhauled and
in the new cargo livery. So it would seem they are slowly coming out
of store and returning to service. TKt48-127 remains plinthed at the
This smaller depot still provides
variety albeit in small numbers with types present being SM31, SM42,
SU42, ST44, ET41, ET42 together with CD 181 009 and M62 1200. At the
far end of the yard Ty45-6 remains dumped – it has been here at least
15 years in such state.
This private concern relies on its
TEM2 to move its traffic. TEM2-043/93 were noted. Plinthed near the
level crossing a short distance from the head office were Ty2-2118,
Ty45-2560 and Ty51-138. Rybnik. Always plenty to see here and this
day had 17 ET22, 8 ET41, 7 ET42 (further evidence of a return to traffic),
4 SM31, 11 SM42, 4 ST44 two of which (ST44-355/489) are among the
ever diminishing unmodified examples. Czechowice Dziedzice. ET21-386
and ET42-038 stood out from the more common ET22/ET41 here. Modernised
ST45-01/5 were also here.
Oswiecim. Rail Polska. This was
a first visit to this private operator located in the eastern outskirts
of the town. Ed Burkhardt’s hand is noticeable in the Wisconsin Central
livery (Rail Polska is owned by Rail World based in Chicago). Many
of the 26 locos present were M62s. Locos such as M62 1300 retain their
former EVR identification but others have been modernised and taken
new M62M numbers rather than retain their old EVR 11xx numbers.
There were some former EVR 2M62s present but 2M62-1246/66 both had
their “B” ends dumped. Former ZSR electric locos of classes 140 and
183 were also to be found. Many of the M62s were in immaculate condition
and a credit to the company.
Sosnowiec Maczki Bor (CTL).
This open access operator
has its headquarters here but the locos work over a wide area of Poland
and what a bunch. ET05R-002/8 were ex ZSR 121s whilst ET21-015/108
were ex Sandbahn and PKP. ST44R-03 was ex CD as were 182 081/156.
Most of the diesel present were former Sandbahn locos.
Sosnowiec Jezor (DB Schenker Rail Poland ex PCC).
This company operates out of the old Sandbahn premises and always
produces a good variety of locomotives. On this day amongst those
present were 3E1/009/051 (former Sandbahn ET21s), 5 SM42, 2 S200,
2 T448p, 4 TEM2, 2 311D, 182 153, 4 232s (East West Railway) and comparatively
new arrivals former EWS 66146/63/80/89.
This depot was well filled with the usual
types but a fair number of SM42s were stored. A surprise visitor was
EU06-10 one of the few left in traffic and soon to be withdrawn. ET22-477
sold some time ago to CTL was also present. Lazy. 35 items here including
two ASFs. Three ST44s present recalled how widespread this class once
was. Additionally Ty45-421 is still plinthed opposite the main entrance
to the depot.
This railway centre was once the
hub for freight trains in Silesia and still retains some of its importance.
The depot was stacked out although considerable numbers were stored
mainly ET22s but also 13 ET40. As none of the latter remain in the
nearby yard it is possible some scrapping may have taken place although
some are stored in the yard at Zyglin some 5 km to the north.
Two ET42 were in use with this more modern class obviously being returned
to service instead of the much older ET40. Four ASFs were also present.
Ty45-217 is still plinthed whilst nearby stabled were 181 077 and
Thursday 7/6/2012. Pyskowice.
Tp4-217 is still plinthed
near the former Sandbahn depot. Since the partial collapse some time
ago of the museum roundhouse some stock is thought to have moved elsewhere
but some locos are still present is a partly fenced compound further
down the yard. Here were Ol49-15/90, Ty2-1292/3458, Ty42-44, Ty45-158,
TKt48-29, TKp-2261/4409, TKh4-5380, 409Da-436 and SM40-10 with a small
number of unidentifiable locos (mostly 2-10-0s). The only believed
runner is Pt47-50 was locked inside a small straight shed. Gliwice.
The dept here has now been completely abandoned. Bytom (NG). Out in
the yard were Lxd2 diesels and an 0-10-0T numbered 1895.
Ol49-20 is still plinthed adjacent to
the depot whilst recently cosmetically restored TKt48-151 is at the
station. Lodz. The depot here is another with a fair quantity of stored
locos again mostly ET22/ST42. Amongst other locos present was ST44-2023
a former broad gauge loco not renumbered now it is running on standard
Present here were Px48-1788/1911 and
no less than nine diesels. Passing on the main line was former DR
120 027! Zdunska Wola. How times have changed. This depot was once
a key place on the south to north coal artery alas no more. Stored
at the former depot were ET41-071 plus 14 ET42s with possibly some
more locked up in various buildings. Private SP1200P-026 was also
The museum collection is now somewhat depleted and comprised the following:
TKp-20, TKh40-27, TKb10, Ol49-79, Ty43-74, Ty45-39, Ty246-22, Tr21-53,
Pt47-93, ET21-01, SM30-039, SM41-175 and railcar SN61-548.
Friday 8/6/2012. Skarzysko Kamienna.
depot at the station is now abandoned with any still serviceable locos
at the electric depot. Pt47-13 is now plinthed at the station having
been once at Bielsko Biala and latterly stored in Krakow. The electric
depot continues to host many ET22/ET41 including two store lines of
mainly the former. 20 SM42s confirmed their presence here although
more unusually EU06-01 was present perhaps on its farewell tour!
This former depot is now just a minor stabling
point mustering 4 ET22 and 2 SM42. Sedziszow. The yards on the LHS
broad gauge line produced ST40-01/02/04/14 these being modernised
ST44s together with some original ones ST44-2039/59/62. The sub shed
contained SM32-001. Ty51-15 is still plinthed at the PKP station.
A non railway day.
Sunday 10/6/2012. Krakow Pleszow.
The PKP presence
here is now minimal with only a few dmus present in the straight shed.
Part of the roundhouse is home to open access locos of which SM42-2303/66/2582
were present. The frame of SM15-007 was nearby and a safari trip into
the bushes found TKt48-167 and Ty51-9 but no trace of TKw2-57 and
Pt47-101. Krakow Prockocim. No less than 45 class EP/EU07 were present
but a fair number were out of traffic. Further down the yard beyond
the wagon works 14 ET22s, 9 ET41s and SM31-167 were stored.
The contents were mainly as listed
in the LCGB booklet save that Ty37-17 has arrived from Jarworzyna
Slaska.. (Chabowka now does repairs in place of Gniezno which has
33 items were at the depot which was a
little busier than previous visits, doubtless as a result of the demise
of Walbrych. Withdrawn EU06-018/20 were present but it was pleasing
to see some ET21s still at work in their traditional area with ET21-270/272/375/430/548
being noted. ST43-380 was ex-works.
Monday 11/06/2012. Nowy Sacz Works.
here have been upgraded in the past couple of years with the latest
addition being a very large hall which will deal with commissioning
of new multiple units. The main workload continues to revolve around
the rebuilding of 130 SM42s of which by this date about 85 had been
completed. Deblica. The depot here has been reduced to a stabling
point some time ago but about 30 ET22s are stored here.
About 55 items here with about half of them
out of use once again largely ET22s interspersed with SM42s and a
small number of ET41s. Zurawica. This eastern outpost was more populated
than on previous visits but here also a fair proportion was stored
with a cross selection of SM42, ST43 and even SM48s.
Tuesday 12/06/2012. Stalowa Wola.
Whilst Ty2-16 is
still plinthed adjacent to the station the depot appears to be on
the way out the only occupant being SM42-1052 and SU45-213. Zamosc.
The PKP depot is completely abandoned in contrast to the LHS facility
which remains busy. In addition to the usual crop of ST44s were 3
ST40s, SM39-765 (pilot) and SM48-002/73.
Ol49-34 recently repainted has been moved
closer to the current depot. In addition to the expected SM48s at
the depot a store line opposite contained about 6 more plus SP32-148.
Lublin. Pt47-157 is still plinthed at the depot which itself shows
signs of being rundown with almost half the SM42s here being stored.
5 diesel shunters and 4 main line diesels and a handful of new units
made up the compliment whilst ET41-100 arrived in the inspection shed.
Another location past its prime as the only
loco here was SU42-503 other wise a few EN57 emus.
Malaszewiecze Duze. The main depot in this area supplies power for
the surviving large yards and border interchange sidings. SM48s continue
to be the main type with 19 of them present. Refurbished EU07s 1502/18
were looking smart otherwise the usual collection of ET22/SM42 some
of which were stored
Wednesday 12/06/2012. Czeremcha.
This eastern outpost
manages to survive and services locomotives out based from Bialystok
which amounts to a handful of SM42s and the odd ST44. A very respectable
ST44-172 was receiving attention whilst at the other end of the scale
SU45s 027/30/60 were all in a woebegone condition awaiting their fate.
About two thirds of the SM42s were in fact stored together with SM03-204
and SM30-091/288. Tp4-148 is still plinthed.
The narrow gauge premises held Px48-1752, 5
Lyd1, Ls40-4108, Mbxd 220 plus some trailers. Adjacent standard gauge
locos were Ol49-11, Ty2-1285, SM39-002 and SM42-002. The standard
gauge shed is now completely abandoned with seemingly its now homeless
former residents dumped in the yard viz: Ok1-258/266, Ol49-9/61/80/102
and Ty2-1258. Stabled in and around the station were EP07-1029, SM42-819,
ST44-933 and a couple of units whilst ex-works SU46-004 passed by
on a lengthy freight.
The facility here is now in two parts with
the regional facility dealing with local area units and SU42s being
located further down the yard. The straight shed looks after everything
else for the freight sector with examples of EU07, ET22, SM30, SM42,
ST44, ST45, SU46 and SM48 present. The old roundhouse is completely
abandoned whilst the wagon works behind it had SM30-080 in use.
Thursday 13/06/2012. Ilowo.
Ty45-205 is still plinthed
by the level crossing at the station. Mlawa Wask. The narrow gauge
depot presented a scene of total dereliction it being clear that nothing
had moved for a long time. Outside were Px48-1758/84 plus 4 Lyd2s.
SM03-126 was also here causing one to wonder whether PKP were still
looking for it! Inside the shed was Lyd2-321 the only thing in reasonable
Warszawa Glowny Museum.
The contents were as the
LCGB booklet. (Although Pu29-1 is supposed to have moved to here –
Ed). Warszawa Odolany. About 70 items were here including the usual
crop of stored SM42s some of which were found at the former coaling
plant which remains extant. The nearby Freightliner Poland facility
held 66602 (former 66624).
Amongst the expected EP/EU07 and
EP09s were a fair number of the former in the 400/500 number range
which were stored out in the yards together with 7 SU45s plus 189
451/2/8 which more disturbingly appeared to be searching for work.
Friday 15/06/2012. Grodzisk Maz.
The days of the
EN94 units are drawing to a close with a small number already laid
up. In addition to the one off EN95-01, EN97s up to 006 were in service
with more to follow. Kutno. The depot here is abandoned with stabling
taking place in the yards. Any maintenance is now carried out in the
wagon shop further along the line.
Ty51-37 is still plinthed at the station
whilst in the depot area were several SU45s, plus SU42-522 and SM42-108
and 5 EN57 units. Nearby in and around the yards were private locos
182 001, 186 128/141, TEM2-094, 3E55 and 232 189. In summary, the
recession continues to bite with many depots having store lines particularly
affecting E&22s and SM42s. There are just too many of them for the
traffic now on offer given the recession and the encroachment of open
access operators. The run down/closure of depots is gaining pace with
more locos being seen at fewer locations.
Supplementing information in
the above report, PKP has been moving locomotives around following
depot and workshop closures. The following have come to light Jarocin:
TKi3-87, TKt48-77, TKh-5376; Kolno: Ty-243; Skierniewice: Ty23-273;
Sosnowiec: TKh-3145, Ty51-133; Gryfice: Px48-3913 (back from Germany!);
Cisna: Kp4-3772 in use; Krosnowice: Px48-1907; Bialowieza: TKh-2191,
TKt48-138, TKp-26188; Gniezno: Ol49-32 scrapped; Leszno: Ol49-23/59/69,
Ty3-2 (ex Gniezno); Zabrze: DB Schenker Offices Ty2-5680; Pila Interlok
Workshops: Px48-3906 (returned from Germany). Wieliczka: TKp-2816.
Visit Report: Howard Forster Wednesday 09/06/10.
The following locomotives were present;
Ok1-322/59, Ok22-31, Ol49-7/59 with 81/5 derelict, Pm36-2, Pt47-106,
Tr5-65, Ty1-76, Ty2-406/1298, Ty5-10, Ty42-148 derelict, Ty43-92/123,
Ty45-379 derelict, Ty51-183/223, TKt48-143/7. PR SU42-536 was on stock
in the station. Czerwiensk. CTL Logistics ET21-17 was parked in the
The depot, which is now being used for wagon repairs, in the evening,
was deserted and guarded by a single watchman. TKt-6 remains plinthed,
four ET 22s, two SM30s, four SM42s, nine ST43s and two SU45s were
recorded.ASF 18548/87 & SM03-181 derelict, were also present.
Thursday 10/06/10, Miedzyrzecz.
In a siding north
of Zielona Gora, a sand train was being unloaded. At its head were
Pol-Miedz Trans M62-1793 & TEM2-033.
Friday 11/06/10, Szczecin Glowny,
TKt48-29 was plinthed
by the roundhouse.
Szczecin Port Centralny.
We were made most welcome
and given cakes and coffee before a guided tour of the depot. 44 ET22s
were present, of which half were stored. [ET22 Photo Howard Forster]
Four SM03s, one SM30, four SM31s and 26 SM42s made up the serviceable
fleet, although several of the SM42s looked to be oou. Ten derelict
SP42s and preserved SN61-189 were noted. Depot shunters were ASF cmue1/3,
acc 9208 was oou. CTL Logistics 182.074/5 were parked adjacent to
the main line.
|[Photo 162.075 Chris Campbell]
Gryfice The museum [Photo Howard Forster]
was open and looked well kept. The steam locos present were as listed
in the LCGB book except for Tya6-3326 and Tyb6-3406, which were
at Sochaczew, and Px48-3916 which was missing. Other exhibits at
the museum were Lxd2-462, Dm308 standard gauge 4w inspection car,
MBxd1-348 and derelict MBxd1-344/58/9. In the small shed next to
the works was Lxd2-478, while another defied identification in the
works. At the new shed were Lxd2-471/2/9 and MBxd2-310.
Koscierzyna. After the closure in 2009, it was
a relief to find that the museum was again open for business, and
with refreshments for sale. There were only a few variations from
the LCGB list. Neither SM03-136/200 were seen, although there was
an unidentified Fablok 4w DM which was probably one of them. Ol49-71
had arrived from Gdynia Grabowek and funicular car PKL 2 was on
Kartuzy, Ty2-14 was plinthed opposite the station.
Gdansk Port yards. A trip by road around the yards yielded four
ET22s, seven SM42s (four privately owned), one ST44 and CTL Logistics
182.048/55. Saturday 12/06/10,
Tczew. Oi2-29 was plinthed by the roundhouse, while
Ty2-1140 and TKt48-170 formerly at Chojnice, were dumped at the
end of the shed yard. Also present were 26 ET22s, one SM30, 25 SM42s,
[Photo Chris Campbell] 12 ST44s, two derelict SU46s
and one damaged derelict EU07. Although staffed, the depot had a
manned gatehouse and a security guard in the depot.
Zoledowo is on route 5 north of Bydgoszcz. In
the car park of the Dakota Hotel is an unidentified TKt48 minus
its side tanks.
Bydgoszcz Glowna Still dumped in the rapidly enveloping
undergrowth by the turntable, was Ty42-149. Plinthed by the roundhouse
was TKp1-46, on which the security guard wanted to give us a guided
tour. Awaiting entry to Pesa Works were DB 232.122/35/416/567.
In the station was an exhibition of motive power and civil engineers
equipment. On show were: PKP IC EP07-401 (two-tone green), EP07-242
(all over blue), EU07-092 (current IC), EP07-351 (current IC), (PKP)
PR EP07-1052 (red & cream), 189-457 (black) on lease from MRCE Dispolok,
PKP Cargo ET22-1088 (blue), ST44-1218 (blue), ST45-01 (blue) [Photo
Chris Campbell] and LOTOS Kolej E186.137 (grey with blue
vertical broad band) on lease from Railpool.
In Poland the UIC numbering system is becoming more difficult to
comprehend, it was bad enough the EU43s having UIC numbers one digit
lower than the PKP number, ST45-01 has a UIC number two digits higher,
92 51 3 630 103-1.
Bydgoszcz Wschod. Both the gateman and the depot
staff were more interested in watching the World Cup on TV than
on our visit, so we had freedom of the depot. TKt48-146 was passed
on the way in. Locos present were one SM03, six SM30s, 18 SM42s,
six ST44s, seven SU45s of which five were stored, 54 ET22s and M62M
003 belonging to Rail Polska [Photo Chris Campbell].
ET41-117 with two different bodies, (plain & ribbed), put in appearance
just as we were departing.
Znin. Px38-805 LEON, was in the straight shed.
Lyd2-64/70 were in service, another Lyd2 in undercoat could not
be identified. Wenecja. The steam locomotives at this well laid
out museum were as listed in the LCGB book. Two of the industrials,
Tb-531 & ZPC 6 carried PKP plates. On the 0-4-0 diesels, the numbers
were WLs50-834 & WLs50-1434. Inowroclaw TKt48-116 was plinthed beside
the depot opposite the station.
Sunday 13/06/10, Sochaczew Plinthed outside the
mainline station was T-1685. Lxd2-342 was on a passenger train from
the museum. ZPC Klemensow 1 0-4-0WT, was plinthed at the entrance
to the museum. The site is in two parts, in the well laid out museum,
all of the locomotives are in the open air: in a separate totally
enclosed area are the shed and works, to which access was refused
for the only time on the trip, (as had happened to another LCGB
member in the past). There was little variation on the locos displayed
in the museum area from those listed in the LCGB book, Px48-1739/55
&Tx4-1315 had been removed.
Additions to the collection were: Tya6-3326 from Gryfice, Px49-1796
from Piotrkow Trybunalski & CK 16 from Jelenia Gora. Kp4-3760 had
been taken from the active list and was a static exhibit. Visible
from the outside, in the shed and works area were: Px29-1704 ready
for use, Tyb6-3406 from Gryfice, MBd1-130 and the four derelicts,
Tyb1-1211 & ZPC 2/5/9.
Warsaw Odolany. This depot was spotless inside;
in and around the shed were 19 ET22s, one PR EU07, one EP07, EP05-16,
one SM30, 24 SM42s and three SM48s. There was still a dump of diesels
by the coaling plant, which was not visited.
Warsaw Technical School. The site has been sold
and is being redeveloped as a housing complex. Both locos have been
Warsaw Glowny Museum. The exhibits were as listed
in the LCGB book except for the ng 0-4-0 DM which was not seen.(It
should be inside the buildings - Ed). An addition was a Bo-Bo snowplough,
which had been converted from an electric loco, and carried two
numbers, 4149-01 and 591944XU. Although the exhibits were being
cosmetically maintained, close inspection revealed that parts of
some of the locos were rusted through.
When you look at the surrounding area and see the encroaching multi
storey commercial developments that have been recently erected,
it is not difficult to see why the PKP are anxious to sell the large
disused prime site, on which the museum occupies only a small portion,
and raise a considerable amount of capital. Perhaps relocation to
Wroclaw Swiebodzki Station might be a possible idea?
Warsaw Grochow Depot. E 401 was plinthed and as
well as the emus, three EU07s were stabled attached to sets.
Warsaw Olszynka Depot. There was a good selection
of electric classes present. EP05-23, 18 EP/EU07 in service, two
EP08, two EP09, EU44s 183.602/3/4,370.007/8, two SM42s & (PKP) PR
189.454. Five EU07s together with SU45.101 were stored. The PKP
EU44s are in two batches 183-601-6 & 370-007-10, the former carrying
UIC numbers e.g. 91.80.6183 603-0 D STSLM and the latter 91 51 5
370 008-1 PL PKPC 1251. The four digit 1251 was noted on several
PKP IC locos and 2151 was seen on those belonging to PKP Cargo.
Warsaw Praga Standage, was located at the end of
the yard nearest to the station, four EU07s & three ET22s were present.
Monday 14/06/10, Skierniewice Museum The site was
locked up. Okl27-10 was plinthed at the entrance. From the outside
could be seen, Ol49-4, Ty51-1 and "Pd5-17" which had formerly been
at Warsaw Technical School.
Rogow, Px48-1783/1911 & 10 0-4-0WT, were all oou
in the depot yard. 13 diesels were also present & MBxd1-203, which
had formerly been at Piotrkow Trybunalski.
Koluszki. There was no trace of Px49-1799 neither
on Ul Mickiewiecza, nor in the area around the station where M62-2987
Rail Polska was stabled.
Lodz Olochow Depot, Pt47-1 was plinthed by the
office building. Due to the pouring rain, a potential visit was
Lodz Radegast - Jewish Holocaust Memorial. 52.6340
was at the head of a train of wagons in the station.
Zdunska Wola Museum. At the entrance to the depot,
the security guard indicated that the entrance was further along
the road. The gate was open but the site was deserted. Three industrial
tank locos were in very good external condition, but as you walked
among the other exhibits there was a deterioration in their condition,
with some in urgent need of a coat of paint. All of those listed
in the LCGB book were present, with the addition of SM03-41. Adjacent
to the museum site was a two road shed which contained SM42-455
& M62M-009 belonging to Rail Polska.
Karsznice Depot, is no longer operational, though
parts were still being utilised A few men were working on components
in the repair shop. The last two roads on the east side appeared
to be in use for servicing the shunting locos and visitors from
the yards which were still open. All of the remaining members of
class ET42 [Photo Howard Forster] appeared to be in store. It was
not possible to log all of them, as the security guard caught up
with us after 36 had been recorded, and asked us to leave as the
depot was closed. One SM30 and three SM42s were in service. Apparently,
he was responsible for both sites and had been to lock the museum
gate at 4:00pm, and on seeing our car but no sign of us in the museum,
had come looking for us. Px48-1723 was plinthed by the side of the
road between Zdunska Wola Karsznice Station and Zdunska Wola town.
Kepno, TKt48-130 was plinthed on the station platform.
Wroclaw Glowny Depot: Pt47-20 was plinthed. Wroclaw
Swiebodzki Station: Ty2-22. A broken down lorry on the southern
exit caused us to lose 2¼ hours as the city was gridlocked. On passing
it eventually, no attempt was being made to remove it.
Walbrzych: TKt48-119 was plinthed by the turntable.
Although the offices were still staffed, it looked as if the depot
was almost closed. There were no PKP Cargo signs at the entrance,
the straight maintenance shed was padlocked, and the roundhouse
with empty workers lockers, was virtually abandoned. Apart from
three men sitting smoking near the stored locos and a lady cutting
the grass, no other manual workers were seen. A handful of parked
locos in the yard included ET21-350; a further nine others were
stored together with seven ST43s.Two SM42s were in service and ASF
17742/82 looked to be redundant.
Jaworzyna Slaska Museum. Locos present were mainly
as listed in the LCGB book. Tr5-65 was at Wolsztyn, ASF 17742 was
at Walbrych & TKt48-18 was active elsewhere. SM30-531 may have been
Ls300-1060, and an addition was 4w DM? Deutz 33124. Ty5-16 was inside
the shed, but little work had been carried out on it; ET22-121 was
Wednesday 16/06/10, Zbaszynek. Px48-1923 in pristine
condition, was plinthed opposite the Culture Centre. At the station
Tp3-36 was in good condition also. PKP ICE189.152, leased from MRCE,
passed through on a Berlin - Warsaw express, which should have been
a PKP IC 183. In the yard adjacent to the closed depot, several
locos from private operators were stabled, Pol-Miedz Trans M62-3103,
East-West Rly 232.309 & PCC Rail 311D -18/22. PKP Cargo EU-006/3
arrived on a Poznan - Berlin freight, from which EU-006 was detached
and then worked back to Franovo.
Poznan Franovo. Bombardier have a team based there
to evaluate and maintain the six EU43s being tested on Poznan -
Berlin freights. The 4 EM 10s were stored, probably never to work
again, as they were non standard. 44 ET22s (11 stored), 18 EU07s
(13 stored), three EU43s & two SM30s were on shed.
With the exceptions of Zdunska Wola which looks to have an uncertain
future, and Warsaw Glowny for other reasons, all of the other museums
visited seemed to be operating normally. The downturn in the economy
together with a reported 33% loss of traffic to private operators,
appears to be causing the management of PKP Cargo to rationalise
its operations, with the taking out of service of all EM10, ET40
& ET42 classes, and the storing of the majority of EU07s seen. At
least 33% of the freight trains seen on the trip were being hauled
by private operators.
Alan James, Barry Chandler, Andy Blaylock and Dave Hodges reporting
on preserved and otherwise surviving steam locomotives in Poland
|0-8-0T TKp100-4 (Wolf 1149/1924) on display at Koscierzyna,
||Metre gauge 2-8-2WT Txn8-3811 (Vulc 3849/1925) at Gryfice
museum on 5/8/10.
||Pt47-14 smartly displayed in a bay platform at Stargard Szczecinski
||Sectioned former DRG 4-4-0 13 1247 (Prussian S6) stands outside
the shed at Skierniewice, 7/8/10.
|2-6-2T OKl27-10 plinthed inside the entrance to the PSMK depot
at Skierniewice on 7/8/10.
||750mm 0-4-0WT 10 (OK 7900/1921) in the shed yard at Rogów,
||Oldest loco at Sochaczew museum, 0-4-0WT KrMü 1120/1882,
with preserved rolling stock, 8/8/10.
||0-6-0Ts displayed with trains at Sochaczew on 8/8/10: Chrz
152/1926, OK 8165/1916 and KrMü 2831/1893
|Tw53-2565 with other 785mm stock at Sochaczew museum on 8/8/10
||Former HFB 0-8-0T 1609 plinthed outside Technikum Nr.7 in
||Last survivor of its class, 2-10-0 Ty246-22, slumbers among
the weeds at ZduÅ„ska Wola Karsznice on 9/8/10
||52 6340 stands as a memorial to the Jews of the ÅÃ³dÅº
ghetto at the former Radegast station on 9/8/10
Photos from Dave Hodges
|0-4-0WT Bor 11453/1924 plinthed at the Cegielski works in
||0-8-0T Tx26-423 plinthed at the main station of the Maltanka
Park railway in PoznaÅ„ on 10/8/10.
||2-10-0 Ty1-76 (ex DRG 58) awaits restoration at Wolsztyn depot
3.8.2010. We went to see if the 17.22 to Wolsztyn
was steam hauled. Unfortunately SM42-613 was in charge of the two
veteran double deck coaches. Interestingly our train to Bydgoszcz
was hauled by EP07-1051 resplendent in BR ‘electric blue’
and complete with a chrome lion & wheel insignia on the body
side! En route, TKt48-116 was noted at Inowroclaw, plinthed at the
former loco depot.
On arrival at Bydgoszcz Glówna, 0-8-0T TKp1-48 was spotted
on its plinth at the depot, opposite the platforms. The night was
spent at the splendid Hotel Pod Orlem, . At 340zl (approx £70)
for a twin room, this was by some way the most expensive night of
4.8.2010. We decided to catch the 06.32 departure
to ensure our key onward connection to Koscierzyna. The rather slow
journey north was enlivened by the sight of 0-6-0T TKh49-11 (Chrz
5699/1961) plinthed at Tczew station. Although the ‘skansen’
museum at the former depot is immediately opposite the station,
it is necessary to take a 15 minute walk via the road over bridge
at the north end of the station to reach it. 0-4-0WT TKb-2845 (LH
2845/1924) is plinthed near the entrance, whilst sectioned TKt48-179
is also plinthed in rather shabby condition.
Displayed outside on the museum tracks in varying condition are:
Ok1-112, Pt47-171 (as Pt47-100), Pu29-1 (as Pu29-3), Tw1-90, Ty2-1401,
Ty42-105, -126, Ty45-139, TKh100-45, TKp100-4 (as TKp100-04), TKt48-99,
TE-7175 (unnumbered) and TKh-3140. Inside the shed, and probably
the last loco to see use (not recently?) is Ol49-71. Outside the
museum compound, but on an adjacent track, is unrestored Ty2-446.
In the dump beyond the south end of the museum and not accessible
therefrom are: Ty2-178, -269, -666, -860, -1098, -1301 (carries
Ty2-9 / Ty2-09) and Ty42-39.
We travelled onward by the 15.19 to Chojnice, where Ty2-1387 was
noted displayed in the sidings as we approached the station. After
a compulsory refreshment break we continued by the 18.27 to Szczecinek,
where a comfortable night was spent at the Hotel Pojezierze, about
15 min walk from the station.
5.8.2010. In the vicinity of Szczecinek depot,
metre gauge Px48-3908 is plinthed on a grassy area outside the entrance
alongside the road together with two open wagons. Having decided
to rely on a 6 min connection at Kolobrzeg, we set off on Os 78441,
the 08.39 departure, comprising a packed EN57 emu with hard seats,
having departed Poznan at 05.12.
The connection into the 10.26 departure for Szczecin was cross-platform,
so we just made it and arrived on time at Gryfice, where the museum
of metre gauge locomotives was our next objective.
Since January this year, the site has become a branch of the Muzeum
Narodowe in Szczecin, which may be the reason that a couple of locos
have fairly recently moved from here to Sochaczew. On display are
5 locos built locally by Vulcan (Stettin), 2-6-2WTs Tyn6-3632, -3636,
0-8-0WTs Tx7-3501, -3502 and 2-8-2WT Txn8-3811; KrMü 0-6-2T
Tyb6-3407, KMaf 0-6-0T Ty6-3284, OK 0-6-0WT Ty-9785 plus Px48-3901,
-3912 and -3915.
At the nearby depot/workshop, Px48-3916 was being prepared to work
trains the next day on the Nadmorska Kolej Waskotorowa. From May
to September a daily service runs at 08.40 from Gryfice to Pogorzelica
on the Baltic coast. Four return trains are then scheduled between
there and Trzesacz (back along the coastal section), before returning
to Gryfice, where arrival is at 19.40. On most days the trains are
The 14.27 to Szczecin gave ample time to examine the old depot alongside
Glówny station platforms. Here TKt48-29 is plinthed in front
of the roundhouse in deteriorating condition. The roundhouse is
now a night club and in 2006 contained 0-4-0F Chrz 4701/1956 as
part of the "furnishings". However the club now has a
different name and as all the windows are thoroughly blacked-out
and all the doors were securely fastened, we were unable to ascertain
if the loco is still in situ.
After booking into the Hotel Ibis Szczecin Centrum – less
than 10 mins walk from the main exit to Glówny station, we
decided to attempt to find the plinthed loco at Huta Szczecin, located
at ul. Nad Odra 33. As the LCGB Blue Book suggests this is at Goclaw,
we caught a number 6 tram which terminates there. We soon located
the correct road, but after walking for about 30 min in a northerly
direction, beyond Glinki signal box, there was still no sign of
a steelworks, so we turned back. Subsequent web investigation shows
that the works is in the vicinity of Stolczyn, perhaps a mile further
along the road.
6.8.2010. Today was largely for travelling to
Kutno, with a few plinths en route. First stop was Stargard Szczecinski,
where Pt47-14 was resplendent in green in a bay at the north end
of the platform. Our next train to Krzyz, was a heavily loaded TLK
(= Tanie Linje Kolej or Cheap (long-distance) Train), where. by
contrast, our coach had an indicator showing such detail as the
time, date, temperature and speed of the train! Ol49-82 is plinthed
here, among the trees between the two sides of the station at the
Changing direction, our next train was the 10.52 stopper to Pila,
We changed at Pila into another stopper to Bydgoszcz – an
EN57 with basic upholstery. Entering Bialosliwie we noted numerous
wagons in the narrow gauge yard on the north side of the line together
with a plinthed tank loco, assumed to be 0-4-0T LKM 26004/1951.
At Bydgoszcz, any plans to search for the dumped Ty42 in Glówny
depot were forgotten when a torrential downpour coincided with our
brief stay there. We were soon on our way again, noting a TKt48,
assumed to be 146, standing in the sidings at Bydgoszcz Wschodnia
depot. The intention was to alight at Torun Kluczyki for a visit
to the depot, but as we got a good view of all three steam locos
expected here (Ty2-64 dumped; Ol49-50, TKh1-19 preserved) before
the train stopped, and we would have had a lengthy walk in another
downpour, we continued to Torun Glówny.
Here, industrial 0-6-0T TKh49-5564was more conveniently plinthed
opposite the station platforms. Our final train of the day was another
well-filled TLK and we were fortunate that the conductor decided
to release a compartment reserved for pregnant women for us to occupy.
At Kutno, the Hotel Rondo was soon located about 10 mins walk from
the station and it proved to be very good quality and value in terms
of the accommodation, the dinner menu and the beer – including
Zywiec Porter (only 9.5%).
7.8.2010. The back up plan was to continue to
Warszawa Zachodnia, where a quick change of platforms enabled us
to reach our first destination only about 75 minutes late. The PSMK
had advertised a depot open day at Skierniewice from 10.00 to 14.00,
and we were surprised to find that there was no charge for entry.
The roundhouse doors were open, and the first thoughts on entering
were that public access would not have been permitted to such a
place in the UK. There was glass all over the floor which had obviously
fallen from the rather fragile roof.
Inside were Ty2-1407 & TKi3-137 (unnumbered), both derelict,
TKt48-39, TKp-102 (Kren 982/1942), TKh-2949, an 0-8-0T (assumed
Chrz 6042/1962), 750mm 0-6-0T 1984 and Feldbahn 0-8-0T 3 (LH 1721/1918).
These last two stand on standard gauge wagons. We were soon politely
advised that we should not be in the shed (despite several doors
being open and a party being given a conducted tour). However, we
were ushered into the workshop to the rear, where the frames of
0-4-0WT OK 10672/1925 were being restored. In the yard outside were
Ol49-4, showing signs of external renovation, unkempt Ty51-1 and
sectioned Prussian S6, formerly DRG 13 1247, which arrived from
Warszawa in April. Plinthed among the trees near the shed entrance
Next visit was to Kolej Waskotorowa Rogów - Rawa –
Biala at Rogów. Apparently PKP has effectively handed over
the line and most of the rolling stock to the local authority and
a preservation society operates diesel trains on summer Sundays
over part of the route. Steam locos present were Px48-1783 and 1911
(not listed on the railway’s website) and 0-4-0WT 10 (OK 7900/1920)
on loan to the society for 10 years. They had started work on restoration
of a fourth loco (0-4-0T Kren 821/1940) but decided this was beyond
their current capability. We were told the frames were somewhere
on site (with some other parts at Skierniewice), but we were unable
to find them.
A number of Lyd1 and Lyd2 type diesels were also in evidence. Continuing
by train to Koluszki, a 10 minute walk brought us to the Church
of St. Catherine of Alexandria, in ul. Mickiewicza, where Px49-1799
is plinthed in the churchyard. It is unlikely this is intended as
an advert for Sochaczew as there is no reference to that museum
and it is at the end of a no through road! The return journey to
Kutno involved an hour wait at Lódz Widzew, not something
to be recommended.
8.9.2010. Trains were even later this morning,
delaying our arrival at the narrow gauge museum at Sochaczew until
10.45. Before reaching the entrance 750mm 0-4-0WTT (assumed Chrz
1685/1947) was found plinthed outside the main line station and
600mm 0-4-0WT 1 (Hano 6272/1911) outside the museum/narrow gauge
Once inside, the sight facing the visitor is quite amazing, rows
of generally well presented steam locomotives in well kept surroundings,
with a running line through the middle. In total there are 42 steam
locos on display comprising: 3 x 1000mm, 1 x 785mm, 35 x 750mm,
1 x 630mm, and 2 x 600mm. 3 of the 750mm locos are displayed with
trains of restored wagons or coaches. Perhaps the most interesting
exhibit is 750mm 0-10-0 Pw53-1980, converted in 1971 from a 785mm
Tw53, an example of which is also on display.
At one end of the museum, securely fenced off, is the loco depot
and storage yard for unrestored items. Peering over the wall near
the shed found Px29-1704 outside, which had probably been in use
on the museum train the previous day. Also visible was a Px48 class
loco in red primer but without tender or markings. The only other
loco in the compound that we were able to identify was 1000mm Tyb6-3406
which is reported to have arrived from Gryfice in May.
After a couple of hectic but enjoyable hours a local train was caught
to Warszawa Ochota, which is just round the corner from Warszawa
railway museum at the former Glówna station. There are extensive
well kept indoor displays covering many aspects of Polish railways
and including many locomotive models in various scales. The full
size exhibits are all outside in three of the former platforms.
There are 24 standard gauge locos, all of different classes, ranging
from 2-2-2T OKa1-1 to 4-8-0 Os24-10 and industrial 2-10-2T TKz-211.
There is also a plinthed 600mm Chrzanów 0-4-0WT which belongs
Although many of the locomotives have recently been repainted, there
is evidence of severe rusting on a few of them. Despite recent rumours
of closure of the museum, we saw no evidence that this might be
about to happen.
A 20 minute walk was then taken to Technikum Nr.7, at the corner
of ul. Szczesliwicka and ul Bitwy Warszawskiej 1920 r. Here Feldbahn
0-8-0T 1609 / Tx-1123 is plinthed in front of the building. Instead
of returning the way we came, we realised Zachodnia station was
somewhat closer and diverted there en route to some well-earned
refreshment before returning to base.
9.8.2010. The skansen museum at Zdunska Wola Karsznice
was the principal objective today, requiring an 08.08 departure
from Kutno, but with almost an hour’s sojourn at Lódz
Kaliska before continuing to Zdunska Wola. Although Karsznice still
has a passenger service, there are now only two trains per day,
at inconvenient times, and in any case the station is a long way
from the depot. Suitable bus services had been identified, but we
were unable to find anywhere to purchase tickets, so we decided
to hire a waiting taxi.
En route we passed a plinthed Px48 (assumed -1723), which is located
at the junction of ul. Laska with ul. Karsznicka, about 2.5km from
the skansen and acting as a signpost. The locomotives at the skansen
look uncared for, as do their surroundings, with no apparent attendant,
so their future here must be in some doubt. Present were: Ol49-79,
Pt47-93, Tr21-53, Ty23-273, Ty42-9, Ty43-74 (as Ty43-1), Ty45-39,
Ty246-22, plus industrials TKb-10 (Chrz 1725/1948), TKh-4207 (Chrz
4027/1955) and TKp-20 (Chrz 6289/1963). The Tr21 and the Ty246 appear
to be the last surviving examples of their respective classes and
surely deserve better care. Two of the industrials and the Ty246
carry false worksplates. We had asked the taxi to come back for
us after 90 minutes, which was probably 30 mins too long, particularly
as it was raining heavily by this time.
Upon return to Lódz Kaliska, we had time to visit the Jewish
Memorial to the Lódz Ghetto, which required a tram and bus
journey across the city. Our arrival was marked by a torrential
downpour, but, undaunted we managed to see and photograph Ty2-702,
in its original guise as 52 6340, and its wagons on display at the
former Radegast station. Our return to Kaliska, and hence Kutno,
was interrupted by a further downpour which forced shelter to be
sought in a convenient bar.
10.8.2010. In order to gain an extra hour in Poznan,
we decided to catch non stop EIC 1801 instead of the following IR
train. Although reservations are supposedly compulsory on such trains,
we found the front coach all but empty; no reservations were requested
but free refreshments were provided! On arrival we purchased a day
public transport ticket and were soon on a no.10 tram to the Cegielski
The company has premises on both sides of ul. 28 Czerwca 1956 r.,
one has a portable steam engine displayed outside but we eventually
found the 600mm steam loco plinthed behind a fence near a manned
gate further along on the opposite side of the road. The helpful
security guard made a brief phone call and then escorted us inside
to take photos. The loco is believed to be Borsig 11453/1924 but
carries plate 11458/1925, which is the number of its active sister
loco at the Maltanka Park railway.
Next call was across town to the Instytut Pojazdów Szynowych
Tabor at ul. Warszawska 181, which lays back from the road behind
trees, on the left hand side heading out of town. Here freshly painted
Px48-1760 is plinthed in the car park. The Park railway is a few
stops back towards the centre. The hourly train service was diesel-hauled
but we had insufficient time to find the depot, presumably at the
far end of the line, and contented ourselves with photographing
plinthed 0-8-0T Tx26-423.
Back at Glówny station, a packed EN57 was taken to Gniezno.
Stored/dumped in the weed strewn depot yard were Ty3-2, and Ol49s
23, 69 (all since moved to Leszno) and one other (assumed Ol49-32)
with no tender and smokebox part cut up. The larger of the two roundhouses
contained TKt48-72 and another assumed to be -77. A visit was then
paid to the narrow gauge station, where the loco shed contained
stored Px48-1785, seen through the undergrowth-shrouded windows
on the side away from the running line. On retracing our steps through
the SG depot, we were pleased to see SM42-613 being ushered into
the smaller roundhouse – obviously not working the 17.22 Poznan
– Wolsztyn this evening!
Back at Poznan, the 17.22 did indeed have steam at its head, in
the form of Pt47-65, which we duly caught. The two Wolsztyn Experience
lads on the footplate advised us that steam was operating on a two
days on, two days off basis, with only the one loco currently serviceable.
However it was expected that the Pm36 would become available again
the following week. Upon arrival at Wolsztyn, a short walk down
the road brought us to the Hotel Kaukaska, recently refurbished
and good value at 150zl for a twin room with breakfast.
11.8.2010. Our last day, but time for a couple
of hours strolling round Wolsztyn depot and yard before catching
the 11.22 dmu service back to Poznan. Lined up in the siding on
the east side of the line were: Pt47-106, TKt48-147, Ty5-10, Ty51-223,
Ty2-406, Ty43-123, Ty51-183, Ty43-92 and TKt48-123. Apart from TKt48-147
these were all in reasonable external condition. In the shed were
found Ol49-7, Tr5-65, Ok22-31, Ok1-359 and Pm36-2 “Piekna
Helena” with the front end jacked up. Ok1-322 was on display
in the shed yard, with Ty1-76 (no rods) , Pt47-112 (con rods off)
and 0-4-0F Bor 8464/1912. Dumped/stored on the west side near the
station were Ol49- 81 and -85 on one road with Ty2-1398 (actually
-1298), Ty42-148 and Ty45-396 on another. Before our departure,
Pt47-65 arrived with the morning steam service from Poznan.
Steam Locomotives in Sochaczew museum display area (750mm
except where stated)
0-8-0T Tx28-1274 Chrz 308/1928 track 1
0-8-0 Px49-1794 Chrz 2034/1950 track 1
0-8-0 Px48-1771 Chrz 3056/1952 track 1; plate Chrz 3222/1954
0-10-0 Pw53-1980 Chrz 2646/1954 track 1
0-8-0 Px49-1797 Chrz 2037/1950 track 1; plates Px48-1797, Chrz 3073/1955
0-8-0 Kp4-1 Chrz 3761/1957 track 1
0-8-0 Kp4-1257 Chrz 3790/1957 track 1
0-8-0 Px48-1253 Chrz 4516/1955 track 1
0-8-0 Px48-1748 Chrz 2133/1951 track 1
0-8-0 Px49-1796 Chrz 2036/1950 track 1
0-8-0 Px48-1755 Chrz 2250/1951 track 1
0-6-2T Tyb-3417 KrMü 3417/1896 track 2
0-4-0WT T-7841 Bor 7841/1911 track 2
0-6-2T Tyb-6452 KrMü 6452/1911 track 2
0-6-0WT Ty1-15506 KMaf 15506/1934 track 2
0-6-0WT CZ 4 OK 10914/1924 track 2
0-4-0WT T3-1043 Budich 931/1943 track 2
0-8-2T Txb5-1431 KMaf 16162/1942 track 2
0-4-0WTT CD 5 Hen 22891/1935 track 2
0-8-0TT CD 3 Kren 1017/1944 track 2
0-6-0WT CG 2 Chrz 3332/1954 track 2
0-8-0 Px6-1645 Pod 528(328?)/1937 track 2
0-8-0TT CK 3 Hen 20314/1924 track 2
0-4-0WT Chrz 1538/1946 track 2
0-10-0T Tw53-2565 Chrz 2648/1954 785mm
0-6-0T Ty6-3286 LH 2962/1925 1000mm
2-6-0T Tya6-3326 Jung 3054/1920 1000mm
0-4-0WT CW 1 KrMü 1120/1882 track 4
0-8-0 (Kp4-3760) Chrz 3760/1957 track 7(?) at shed end
0-4-0WT 1674 Chrz 4010/1958 630mm at shed end
0-6-0TT Py4-741 OK 11007/1925 600mm at shed end
0-8-0TT (Tx-1958) OK 8575/1918 600mm at shed end
0-4-0F T(b)-4688 Hart 4688/1927 1000mm
0-4-0WT CW 2 KrMü 1321/1883 track 8
0-4-0WTT CT 3 Zobel 571/1907 track 8; boiler Zobel 86
0-8-0 Px29-1708 Wars 185/1929 track 8
0-4-0TT CT1 Hohz 2008/1913 disconnected track
0-6-0T CBK 8 Chrz 152/1926 displayed with train
0-6-0WT WKD 66 OK 8165/1916 displayed with train
0-6-0WT CK 22 KrMü 2831/1893 displayed with train
0-6-0WT CZ 3 Chrz 3335/1954 plinth by road
0-4-0WT CZ 5 Chrz 1796/1947 plinth by road
Steam Locomotives in Warszawa museum outdoor display (1435mm
except where stated)
0-4-0WT Rys 1541 Chrz 1541/1946 600mm plinth
2-2-2T OKa1-1 Krup 1187/1931 track 1 (nearest to main line)
2-6-0T OKi1-28 Bor 5424/1904 track 1
4-6-4T OKo1-3 Vulc 3610/1920 track 1
2-6-0 Oi1-29 Schw 3450/1905 track 1
2-4-0T TKc100-1 Hen 3838/1893 track 1; was PKP TKb100-10
2-6-0T Tki3-119 Union 2049/1913 track 1
2-6-2T TKl100-16 Bor 14528/1934 track 1
2-10-2T TKz-211 Bor 14714/1938 track 1; ex PMPPW
2-8-0 Tr6-39 LH 2616/1923 track 1
0-8-0T TKp-4147 LaM 4147/1942 track 1
0-4-0F TKb(b)-10282 Hano 10282/1924 track 1
2-8-2 Pt47-104 Ceg 12302/1949 track 2
2-10-0 Ty43-17 Ceg 1045/1947 track 2
2-10-0 Ty51-228 Ceg 2627/1958 track 2
2-8-2T TKt48-36 Ceg 1562/1951 track 2
0-6-0WT TKh1-13 OK 9336/1920 track 2
4-6-2 3c Pm3-3 Bor 14926/1940 track 3; actually Pm3-5; streamlined
4-8-0 Os24-10 Chrz 147/1926 track 3; actually Os24-7
4-6-2 Pm2-34 Schw 10629/1936 track 3
2-6-2 Ol49-21 Chrz 2623/1952 track 3
2-10-0 Ty42-120 Chrz 1604/1946 track 3
2-8-0 Tr203-451 Lima 8739/1945 track 3
2-6-2T Okl27-26 Ceg 223/1931 track 3
2-10-0 Ty2-572 Schi 3993/1943 track 3; frames “Schi 3983”